Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Lord gave and took...

I think what makes Job stand out in the bible is one of these phrases that he said:

Job 1:21
And he said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.

It inspired (I think) this song, which we sang during service last week. And it stayed in my mind, cos the first time we sang, I was in tears.

Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name


I think basically what Job is saying is that- these riches that I have, are from God anyway, and I came in naked on this earth, and there is nothing that I can retain. In my bible, there is a reference to another verse wrt "The Lord gave"- it is in Eccl 5:19
As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor--this is the gift of God.

Wow! I know that I am living in this upper middle classy life (hmm? Am I?) in Singapore because I know that it is God who has given it to me.

At the same time, couldn't help remembering another verse that says that God causes the rain to fall on both the righteous and the unrighteous. Sometimes we wonder why some people are unrighteously rich? Why, we really will never know.

Basically what I am trying to say is that, be thankful when the Lord blesses u. Yet at the same time, this needs to be balanced with the heart for others, as well as to remember that the possessions that we have should not be held in such high esteem. Learn to be like Job, to praise God inspite of all. To be like Paul- to abase and abound. Power is in the hands of those whom God has blessed with plenty to learn to share, and redirect wealth.

A nice comment by someone, he says we shd give thanks IN all things. And as that thought seeped in- yes, we should be thankful to God whether we are rich or poor. We are not thankful FOR the wealth, but rather being thankful IN the wealth.

In all circumstances yes, blessing God, and praising Him.

No comments: