Saturday, February 25, 2006

1998-early 1999: Uprooting myself

Much as I hate to admit it, I think I was a nerd. Heh. I take a school bus home from school everyday and reach home abt 3pm. And then my maid would cook lunch for me, and then I will have my lunch then go online IRC to chat!! Or sometimes I would take an afternoon nap after lunch. And then I will start on my homework. So if u ask me, my pre-christian life is nothing to exciting. I can't share the testimony that I was a street kid or drug abuser etc. who was changed by God's power. Nah...I'm just an ordinary girl who lived life even more ordinary than anyone.
My parents were strict with me. After school if I was not coming home for lunch, I would account to them where I went to. These were some rare days of going orchard with my frens or my weekly Interact Club home visitations. As such when I became a christian and wanted to go for church seminars at night or bible studies or cell group, I had to ask for permission to go. And I had to tell my parents where I was going. (I know what u are thinking..huh? So no life huh? So if u are reading this and u are 16 years old, rejoice! Haha..take heart)

So anyway I made quite a few frens in IRC. Some whom I will specially go online to chat with. I met up with some of them and went out with some of them. And I fell in "love" with someone from IRC. Heh..this guy, we talked almost everyday on the phone. :P But thank God that he already liked someone else. But from the perspective of a 16 year old, I think he was the most serious one I ever liked.

So I can't share a testimony of drug abuse. But I can share a testimony of someone lonely, who found God. And after finding God my life went on a very exciting track.

For one, I had to make a stand to go to church seminars and bible studies and cell group. And it was not easy. Church was at Tanjong Katong Road then, and sometimes church seminars will end at 10 plus and by the time I reach home at 11pm, it was considered really late beyond whatever time I had reached home. ;) My dad shouted at my sister and I, asking us not to be so superstitious please..and not to spend our time doing so much "useless" things. Whenever we reached home late from seminars, my sis and I will pray for my parents to be in good mood. We will pray all the way from the church bus stop to the 23rd floor when the lift opened. I was a very timid girl, and I hate to make people upset, and I hated those times when I got scolded. Slowly but surely, God softened their hearts and helped us as we made a stand.

Just to jump forward a bit, I remember when I was in JC that I wrote my parents a very long letter, telling them why my faith and God was important to me. I told them in the letter that believing in God doesn't mean I don't love them anymore, or that I have lost my brains and become irrational. I asked them not to worry, cos I was still sensible, and knew what I was doing. The letter was good. It helped to explain a little. :)

No comments: