Tuesday, February 21, 2006

1989-1994

When I was in early primary, my maid (domestic helper) from Philippines, Merly (oops, not sure the actual spelling) came over to work for my family. I was really close to Merly as my parents are away at work for the whole day, I spent most of my time with her. She loves to tell me stories and we have a lot of fun together. I always ran about the kitchen disturbing her, and I liked to go into her room while she was ironing and sing songs with her that were over the radio.
Merly was the first person to share with me about Christ. I don't remember her exact sharing, but she asked me if I believe in God. I said yes, and she led me in the sinners prayer. And everytime before meal time, she would ask me to say grace. She taught me how to actually. And she got me a rosary.
I remember rather vividly one night while I was lying in my bed, the reality of death hit me and I wondered where I would go if I died. What happens after my heart stopped beating? Would I disappear into thin air and from the earth? Would I still have an existence elsewhere? I cried when I thought of myself disappearing and becoming dust. And I hung on to my rosary sobbing, until Merly came into the room to assure me and hug me.
In primary school, I considered myself a christian, but I didn't attend church. Every night though, I would make a short prayer to God. The God up there, if You can hear me!! And I wanted to try out my classmate's church, but I never went about doing it.

No comments: