Saturday, September 13, 2008

Synergy in Mission Organizations

I found this website on the progress of the Gospel in the world. It shows the percentage of peoples group still unreached at 41.3%. Joshua Project
(Unreached = A people group among which there is no indigenous community of believing Christians with adequate numbers and resources to evangelize this people group. The original Joshua Project editorial committee selected the critieria less than 2% Evangelical Christian and less than 5% Christian Adherents.)
There's quite a lot of useful info in the website. Amazes me on the depth of research and the amt of thought that went into this.

Through my job and others, I've come across many missions agencies and churches who are passionate about reaching the lost, and also came across many christian agencies with a social mission. This is definitely very edifying and encouraging. =)

My 2 cents worth of thought- some of these organizations should combine effort instead of re-inventing the wheel. How powerful it will be if there was synergy. Like for example World Vision & Compassionate are good at child sponsorship programmes, YWAM is good at missions training, Habitat is good at building houses for the poor, each one having the expertise to complement one another...and so on and so forth, likewise in the field of medical missions, micro businesses etc. :P Sometimes the organization may not be present in a certain area of the world and u have to do some re-invention. But in cases where partnership is possible, there's so much synergy that can be harnessed from it.

Chking motives is impt, like why are we starting this thing, can we partner with someone else who has the expertise, and is our motivation really to benefit the community or to expand our territory of influence? Doesn't make sense that the social sector already has very few resources for us to be competing with each other for resources.

Though I must say, starting my own organization has been on my mind on and off. Check check check....is it cos I can't submit to authority? Do I really have something that I can offer that is not already available in the mkt? I must admit though, that having my own organization allows more flexibility and control over the vision and mission.

Ajith Fernando in his book Jesus Driven Ministry, says he grows uneasy when people say they want to have their ministry in every city of our nation or in every country in Asia. Rather, the one with godly ambition should pray that if "someone else does what we were hoping to do, we will be satisfied."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. This was something exactIy something I commented some time ago.

Edmond said...

Paiseh. That was me. Lazy to login...

Lois said...

yep ;0
I remember our discussion on there being so many churches in Singapore. And whether all were really called by God to start church.