Sunday, September 03, 2006

The other side of the story..

I've been talking so much abt finances and money, and opposing the "prosperity" gospel. But to be fair, I have to talk abt the other side of the story. I'm not really going to be quoting any verses, but these are just some of my thoughts from what I've experienced.

CHC is indeed a very giving church, and I know that in the years where I've been there, when it came to building fund and missions fund, a lot of us gave our very best. Some of us give so much that our bank account only had a few dollars left- trusting that God will honour us back as we give to Him.

In order for ple to give a lot- they must have the faith that God will provide. And I think that ple really do need to know that! To learn to trust in God's provision.

I believe that God works through our faith. I also believe that as we give, He will always provide for us. Though the part that I am uncomfortable is emphasizing on the blessings that we will get if we give. I think emphasizing on what we can receive seems a bit transactional to me- giving so that u can receive. As opposed to, I know God will provide for me even as I give, but most of all, I give because I love Him.

I am also uncomfy with the question "How many of u want to be rich?" Pastors always a link we want to be rich to be a blessing, but sometimes it is so hard to draw the linkage.

Most of all, I think God sees our hearts. Whether we are dumping our money in the offering so that we can be rich (smtimes it seems to be implied that way from the sermons), or whether we really give with the right hearts/attitudes.

No comments: