Sunday, June 04, 2006

Relevance

I found the youth conference message yesterday pretty enlightening. Pastor explained to us why we must be relevant to society. And its really true and impt. And I understand better his vision for the church to be in the culture of the world, and to be an influence in the arts, media, govt, business etc.

I've always believed in that as well, being a mktplace christian, impacting the place u are in, being the salt and light, carry His glory, shine for Him. And I always pray that I might be a light that shines in my company, that when ple see me, they see God in me.

Well there are 2 grps of ple reading this blog, the first grp are my CHC frens (CGLs, ex-mbrs etc), second grp are some christians who have gone thru a similar transition as me wrt their point of view about church. I try and cater for both grps in a sense, but then realise that I shd be pleasing God and not men, and I shd really write what I think is the truth.

I agree about being relevant and contemporary to relate to the world. The opposite of that is retreating and being reclusive. There are so many churches like the latter! But my question is, what is the definition of being relevant? I can be relevant in so many ways. To the poor and hurting, I minister to them by my love and showing them that I care. To the person in the third world, I be relevant to him by going there wearing my simplest of clothes to relate to him. To the aunty in the pantry, I talk to her abt her children and movies in her era. That is BEING RELEVANT! Can u imagine me wearing my makeup, mini skirt and high heels to a developing country and telling them, God loves you! That will be so irrelevant!

Being relevant does not mean everyone fits into a mould of dyed and gelled hair, mini skirts, ed- hardy t shirts, makeup etc. In fact that freaks a group of ple in society out. We are NOT being relevant to the chunk of ple who are not fashionable, maybe nerdy, or even casual in their dressing. How abt someone who just wants to seek God and wear his bermudas to church? Being fashionable is unlikely to be relevant to him. We be relevant by relating to ple and being real, being ourselves and yet caring for others.

Granted, this is a youth conference but there is a large chunk of the church I believe, like me, probably who don't feel that being trendy and fashionable is being relevant to me. Neither is the hip hop dance, or the winning eleven game, or the pop idol sessions.

And my question is, are we only reaching out to the hip and trendy? Are we dressed in a way that makes pop stars come to church and feel comfortable? Is the church mainly relevant to cater for ple like Miss Taiwan? Or is it a church that is relevant to all? And why are ple in "influence"-leaders in govt, business, media being exalted over everyday ple like you and me? Though I am not a leader in my industry, yet I impact my world by being me! Daniel-impacted the world he lived in, and the story of daniel speaks to us that God can use anybody and everybody! Looks and wisdom are a special endowment that God has given to him. In the new testament, God says blessed are the meek/poor in spirit etc, and God uses the weak (according to the world) to shame the strong. Hence God is God who uses ALL ple, as long as we surrender our lives to Him, and that is where He empowers us to be like a Daniel!

In my heart of hearts though, I am somewhat at peace, cos hearing where pastor was coming from, I understand better the reasons for being contemporary. At his heart is reaching out and being relevant to ple, esp youths. And the church has done a great job in relating to the youths. So I dare not be bold enough to say that I know it better than the leadership.

MrForest told me that I must ask myself the correct questions. What are the practices that are being done that are not acceptable to me? And can I see myself there in the long run? The answer is a big clear fat no. Though I have kept myself open for the past few months, and everyday I ask God this question. How can a church be walking in error when u are blessing it so much? Am I the one in error? Am I being religious? Am I missing out on smthing? But the underlying core emotion beneath me just fails to relate to the sermons almost every week as well as the practices. They don't encourage me to know God more. The God that I know, somewhat differs from what is being preached at the pulpit.

For a long long while, I was angry with myself. Why can't I be normal? Have I hardened my heart and backslidden? Sometimes doubt, anger and bitterness comes to my mind when I worship. But for the past two days, during ministry, I experienced such a warm touch from the Holy Spirit, and I felt this deep sense of peace. That He was with me.

U see..the only thing that I can reconcile is that God works in His plans in so many wonderous ways. This church may not be the place where I fit in right now in my spiritual walk. But it has indeed blessed me so much in the past and helped me to overcome my low self esteem, challenged me to live a godly life etc. Perhaps there is a season in everyone's lives for different things. Sometimes I really envy those ple who can sit at the service and agree with all the things that are being said. I remember not long back...1 or 2 years ago, I also felt that way. I looked forward to service every single week for a fresh touch from God and for Him to speak to me in a new way. And He always did. Having exposed myself to other authors however, 2 main ones that influenced my thinking- John Piper and Ron Sider have changed my perspective.

In a way, it is a mindset thing. But I cannot change my mindset back to the start. The best that I can settle for, and leaves me well at peace is that I know that God is working in this lovely church. The place that has impacted my christian life so much. And at the heart of the leadership is a love for the lost. That makes me glad to know.

3 comments:

Smaine said...

hmm are u thking of leaving chc?

Lois said...

Yups, might be. :) haha surprised u visit this blog. :)

leg of lamb said...

wow.
:) hi xiaoxiao
|||||